Sunday, July 14, 2013

Mount-climbing Vs Life??

I still remember that my friend in senior high school, Ridho gave me a little bunch of Edelweiss. He said that the flower only grows on the top of a mountain and it would not be shriveled. Then I kept it in my room, and indeed, it didn't shrivel as the colour was getting brown. When I was in college, some friends of mine told me that they just came back from hiking, caving, and doing such kind of adventures. They had such a daring experience, and at that time I just thought that 'okay, that's pretty tempting, but I think I couldn't afford it' (bout the parents' permit and my self capability as well). Thanks God, it's only minority of my circles who kept talking bout hiking, caving, etc. Thus, I didn't feel like always being teased and tempted.

Then, in my master study, again, some friends of mine told me bout their experiences of hiking on Mt. Bromo, Mt. Semeru, Mt. Gedhe, etc. They told me about the beauty and satisfaction of hiking. Their stories resurrected my desire to do so. Then I finally decided to try hiking on Mt. Gedhe. It was the second invitation of my friend as the first one was cancelled. My very first time hiking on mountain was with a team consists of 5 persons (including me). To me it was a very precious moment. I learnt some values of hiking.

1. Self-acknowledgement
    Yup! In my opinion, the process of ascending the mountain trains me to know my body well. I could see how far is my capability to went up through the route. I could see in myself how I could find a way to keep trying and reaching the top. Even though I got to face the route which was full of roots and rocks, I got to find a way, to ease myself. Somehow, in the middle of the route people might have gotta need rest longer or even given up to keep on the track. But that's actually the challenge. If you could manage yourself, body, soul and emotion, surely you would be able to deal with it. During the hiking, there is no other person to give order to our body but ourselves, since only we, ourselves who understand the body's condition. That is how you could acknowledge yourself better. However, don't push too much out body to the limits.

    First, I thought that I am a person who loves being surrounded by water than trees in the mountain. Turns out that I love both. They both have different satisfaction. When I was on the top of mountain, I was so gratified that I could overcome the challenge. I could set the goal and manage myself walking step by step to attain it. In the end, I found that whatever we would like to achieve, we gotta attempt for it no matter hard. It shows our commitment to ourselves. Meanwhile, when I was on the beach or swimming in the sea, I feel the freedom. I could do whatever I want in the water. I could enjoy the freedom of movement and happiness of having interaction with organisms inside. Both of them teach me to always be grateful. Whatever it is, the beauty of nature I enjoy was drawn by HIM the Almighty. And people gotta preserve it.

2.  Team-work
     I guess that there is never a person who hike on mountain alone. Surely, we need at least one companion. Well, that's how mount-climbing works. We couldn't do that alone but jointly. Even when we already have a team, we might need the help of other group. Just like what happened to my group when we hiked on Mt. Gedhe. Our stove was broken and obviously we couldn't cook. Actually it worked at the first time we used it. After reaching on the top and built a tent, we cooked dinner. However, in the next morning it was broken. Then, we asked other group to borrow their stove. Luckily they finished cooking and lent us two stoves, which were so wonderful. They were able to cook fast! Alhamdulillah. At Kandang Badak, the second camp field, we also asked other group their stove. Thank God again, they were so kind. ^_^

    Within my team, too bad, that we had such a problem about team-work. There was one member of us, who was uncooperative. But we tried to ignore it and try not to show our anger. Well, it is a must to keep our team-work well. Just let it go and make the most of it as a great experience.


With groups who lent us two very great stoves

Cook together at Kandang Badak

3. Well-preparation
    Both the stuff and logistics need to be prepared very well. You know that the weather on the top of mountain is so cold and windy. Firstly, we gotta prepare our warm suites. As a first climber, I don't think that I was well-prepared. I thought that it is enough to only bring my jacket. Turned out that I need gloves and masker. In addition, we should also prepare torchlight. The one that was beyond my preparation. Haha..I didn't think that we would walk at night so that I didn't bring it. Thus, I slipped among the roots when we walked down at night to Kandang Badak. :) But I think, I was responsible enough that I didn't complain much due to my not-so-well-preparation. Hoho.. :D

Comparing the process of mount-climbing to life, it seems like once we set our goal, we should be able to reach it. Even though it's hard, we need continuously step by step achieving it. If we are able to acknowledge our capability, make a great preparation and work in team, we could manage to attain our goal. Once you're there, standing on your goal, that's the most precious moment. As you realize that every thing you have done to stay there works very great. Such a content compensation!

Full team :)

Cheers ;;)

No comments:

Post a Comment